Tuesday, January 16, 2007

The strangest thing happened on our way back to the Condo

On Sunday afternoon, we went down to Lacombe for the third weekend in a row. We went to celebrate with Julia's cousin who did his profession of faith. On our drive back to Edmonton, as Julia's eyes were closed, I started to search the AM dial. I'm not sure what happened exactly, maybe Little Red turned into an oversized HAM radio on wheels, but I heard the tide report at Point Atkinson & Georgia Straight and the Vancouver weather (+4 Celcius at about 10:00 BC time)!! I was totally confused and surprised enough to wake Julia up to get her to listen to AM NEWS 1130 Vancouver in Edmonton! I've tried to think about all the reasons why an Edmonton station would run a Vancouver-based traffic, weather and news updates, and I'm yet to come up with a good explanation. Maybe I just underestimate the power of AM waves and the Rockies are not a barrier (but they sure cut out driving in the tunnel under the Fraser River in Richmond). Regardless of how it happened, it has made me reflect on the steps ahead.

In less than two months, we will Vancouverites and my listening to NEWS 1130 will no longer surprise me. If all goes well, we will be ordained and installed on March 18 at First CRC Vancouver. We don't know where we'll live yet, but the anticipation is growing. Today, at the half-point of January, means our Alberta days are numbered. Julia's last day is Jan. 31 and I hope to have my study in by then. We plan on leaving on Friday, Feb. 2 with Little Red packed to the brim. I don't know what station we'll listen to on the drive back to BC, but Julia might have to put up with a little static to humour me as I try to find what geographical portals the AM dial might open up next.

2 comments:

Rob said...

The culprit here is the ionosphere. Here's a nifty little link that explains.

http://www.cybercollege.com/frtv/frtv017.htm

BTW, I used to work for an AM station when I was in my teens and incidentally we had to change frequencies in the evening to accommodate this issue.

Useless facts provided by:
Rob

Phil said...

Vancouver is calling!
(Every 10 minutes on the 1's).

- Bro Phil.