Days 1-10: I do the cup-a-day of water method only to see an alarming number of needles falling to the carpet. I'm not quite sure what I 'm doing wrong. Too much water? Not enough? I pick up the tree and it seems a little on the heavy side, so I'm quite sure it is not lacking water.
Days 11-14: I tried the liberal gushing method of placing the tree in a sink full of water overnight, but this too did little to combat the work of gravity on those poor browning needles. I blame the store and the greenhouse company who likely transplanted the tree into its present pot only to look pleasant long enough for a customer looking for a novel way of being festive.
Days 15-16: Marty, a friend of ours suggested the misting method. For the 2 days that remain before our 2 week holiday, we mist our little tree.
Day 32: We return to the condo late on January 1st only to quickly fall asleep. We don't really have the heart to look closely at the tree as it has gone without water in any form for almost 2 weeks.
Day 33: Julia notices something peculiar about the tree and takes a closer inspection. She sees it first and then calls me over--our little tree has changed. Sure, there are the hundreds of brown needles laying around the base, but there are also more than a dozen shoots of new growth! What we experienced there can only be described in one way: Re-Leaf!

1 comment:
Well, well, well! You've got a green thumb and didn't even know it! Let's hope it will continue to get green shoots and survive another move so that you'll be able to plant it when you put down some permanent roots! Mom V.
Post a Comment