Wednesday, February 01, 2006

You learn something new every day

At my second church conference in as many weeks, here are the things I learned today:

1. When mentioning Canada's largest city in conversation, you first say, 'Torrono.' If people seem confused and ask "what?" You respond with an overly clear 'Tor-ont-to' to make sure you are properly understood.
2. A missiologist reminded a group of us today that change is inevitable in culture and within our churches. Shift happens.
3. Although Bethel is in Waterdown which has just been absorbed by Hamilton last year, everyone considers Bethel to be a church in Burlington. Technically speaking, it would be in Burlington if the building was across the street.
4. Our home too, is part of Hamilton, but only one street over is Ancaster. Everyone thinks we live in Ancaster (which is home to our friends Steve and Julia, Redeemer College, Home Depot and Jacob Annex...but not home to us).
5. Vancouver has sister radio stations here in town--AM980 in AM900 in Hamilton and News1130's counterpart here is AM680. It's great to know I can still get my traffic and weather every 10 minutes if I wanted to.

No comments: